Since it’s #BacktoSchool time, we thought it’d be fun to share school related photos from our Collection. These photos have been posted daily to the Dartmouth Heritage Museum’s Instagram account for the past week and will be posted until early next week. We think these photos provide a great glimpse into Dartmouth’s history, so we wanted to share our feed with those who may not have ventured over to Instagram yet.

Please check out the photos below and feel free to follow DHM on Instagram here!

View this post on Instagram

We would like to interrupt your regularly scheduled photo series with this archival record. Today’s #BacktoSchool throwback is a register from Tufts Cove School dated 1942, so during WWII. Tufts Cove School was a two room school that opened in 1891 and stood on the corner of Albro Lake Road and Windmill Road, where Farrell Hall is located. Tufts Cove was one of three new schools built after the Free Schools Act, along with Central and Woodside. Fun Fact: Henry Elliot, the architect behind Central School, Woodside School and Evergreen House, also designed Tufts Cove School. Elliott, it seems, loved designing schools. (DHM 1975.31.24) #dartmouthns #historicphotos #school #dartmouthheritagemuseum

A post shared by Dartmouth Heritage Museum (@dartmouthheritage) on